October 31, 2015
A little fairy was outside our home this morning! She was ready to go to school for the annual Halloween party. You can tell by the look on her face that she was happy with her costume! This costume was her vision and her Grammy was more than willing to make it happen.
We started with the wings. They were the only ones we could find with a lovely lavender color, her favorite color. A trip to the fabric store, with the wings, helped us find the perfect lavender satin and the aqua colored tulle. She picked out the tulle in a heartbeat, and though I suggested we look through the other colors, she was right, this one was the best. Sophia has an eye for color!
The first thing I made, at her request, was the headpiece. She told me she wanted flowers all around and ribbons hanging down the back, and that is what we created. Using a floral wire, a circle that fits Sophia’s head comfortably was made. Then using floral tape, I wrapped cut portions of the floral stem with flowers and leaves around the entire circle. A pale lavender ribbon was woven in and out of the flowers. A purple ribbon bow was made for the back and streams of ribbon were left long, just like she wanted.
Using this Simplicity dress pattern, I made the dress from the lavender satin but added two layers of the tulle to it. I shortened the dress pattern, not wanting it as long as this for a fairy. The dress pattern has an overskirt to it, which the instructions said to gather with the skirt and sew to the bodice. I did not like the way that looked, so I disassembled, gathered the tulle, and pinned it over the top of the gathered skirt. I left the tulle longer. It just looked more fairy like.
She wanted a vest and chose the warm tan colored suede fabric. Usually working from patterns, this was a little more perplexing because I had to make my own pattern. Sophia wasn’t with me that much through this process, so it was a little more difficult.
To begin with, I decided to use some brown felt, which was leftover from a different project. Using her dress bodice pattern and a vest pattern that was too loose, I came up with a facsimile of a vest. Sophie came over and I pinned the vest to fit her body. A few darts in the waist helped take up some of the slack. Using chalk, I made adjustments on the felt.
She explained to me that she wanted a peplum with points in the front, the back, and the sides. This is what I came up with in the end. With a basting stitch, I stitched it together and tried it on her again. A few minor adjustments and then I pulled the basting stitches out and used the felt patterns to cut the suede cloth.
This actually worked really well. If I have to do it again, I will use this method.
Silver ballet flats were found at the shoe store finally! They were just a smidge too big, but a pair of shoe inserts did the trick. Silver was not going to be a great transition with the purple satin ribbons we were tied on her legs, so we glittered them! We used fine purple glitter, which I found at the fabric store. To begin with, I sprayed aerosol glue on them and then sprinkled the glitter over them.
That process didn’t cover as well as I wanted so Mod Podge to the rescue again. In retrospect, I think I would have just used the Mod Podge in the beginning. The shoes were stuffed with tissue and tape was attached to the sole, to keep the glue and glitter off of those areas. Let me tell you that glitter is a messy thing, but look how adorable those shoes are!
Leftover flowers from the headpiece were sewn to the purple satin ribbons. They were wrapped under her feet and crisscrossed up her legs.
This is a relatively easy DIY for making a little fairy costume and putting a smile on a little girl’s face.