Part 2 – How To Make A Papier- Mâché Snowman
After the little Papier-Mâché snowman from Part 1 was dry, I realized his feet weren’t so steady. I had used the cream cheese box to cut out and make soles for his feet. That cardboard was not so firm and somehow the ends of his feet curled in the front. As you can imagine, that created a bit of a wobbly snowman. Extra paper clay had to be applied there and flattened to make him a little more stable, which meant more drying time. Sigh…
To remedy this, on the second snowman, a pizza box lid was used to create soles for feet. Let me tell you that this was a far better idea. After stuffing the newspaper sleeve, applying the paper strips and allowing that to dry, I glued the pizza box lid soles in the appropriate spots and allowed the Tacky glue to dry.
Then, the paper clay was used to fill in the space around the bottom, creating a nice base. Paper clay was also applied in a ring around the neck. The clay was allowed to dry. This helped to stabilize the head and the base. I think I will start doing this with all of the snowmen!
After the clay had completely dried, a coat of white primer and paint was applied. I really liked the paint used on the pumpkins as a base but that particular paint does not come in white. This Olympic primer and paint in one works really nicely, too.
He’s beginning to look more like a snowman now and less like an alien or a troll! Lol!
Remember the Easy DIY Melted Snowman Tablescape from last year? I had some of the fabric left from the flannel plaid scarf. This was used to create a little scarf for this first snowman. The snowman stands about 10″ tall. The scarf measures 18″ long and ended up being 1 – 7/8″ wide. The lines of the plaid were followed as a guide to cut straight lines.
Threads were removed from both ends to create fringe. I didn’t bother to sew up the edges. They were left raw. There shouldn’t be a lot of strain on them once they are tied around the little fellow’s neck.
Since the plaid had green in it, too, florist wire was used to create a band for the earmuffs. (I saw this done on a snowman in a store and thought it was so clever! However, they had used some black wire. The florist wire seemed perfect for this project.)
His eyes were painted with regular acrylic craft paint. Since they were supposed to look like coal, they were painted black. Of course, his carrot nose was painted orange. Red paint, to match the plaid fabric, was used for the mittens and the earmuffs. And, he now looks more like a snowman, doesn’t he?
A big crooked smile was painted on his face. White twinkles were painted on his ‘coal’ eyes and white snowflakes brighten up his red mittens.
Frosty was looking a little too bright and new. A waterbased antiquing medium by FokArt was used to take off the new look. The antiquing medium was watered down with a wet brush and applied to the snowman in sections. Then, the surface was quickly rubbed with a paper towel and most of the antiquing medium was removed. It looks subtle but that is a good thing!
After the antiquing was dry, it was time to add some sparkle to Frosty! A light coat of Mod Podge was brushed on, a section at a time, as glue and then clear glitter was sprinkled over the wet Mod Podge.
I have to tell you right now, looking at this little snowman really puts a smile on my face.
Next, using the Loctite Super Glue, the ends of his coiled band for the earmuffs were glued into the little holes made earlier.
The plaid scarf was the finishing touch. I love this little snowman! Another two are in various stages of becoming snowmen, too.